How to Make Money as a College Student
Gone are the days when one had to first finish their studies before they could think of generating any income for themselves. The world has changed so much such that anyone with a viable business idea has the capacity to realize it if they put an effort into doing so. And to top that, the starting capital is quite attainable and in some cases, it’s zero. The cost of getting a college education in this day and age is so high. As a result, a majority of students are forced to find ways that they can make some cash to cater for some of the expenses. Here’s how to make money as a college student.
eBooks and audiobooks sales are a good source of passive income. Although writing a good eBook takes time and will require a lot of patience, the end result is a long-term source of cash. Most people have turned to eBooks and this is one of the reasons why sales have risen over the years. In the United States alone in January 2016, daily eBook sales on Amazon stood at just slightly over 500,000 units. These figures are based on data from 5 publishing categories, which are Indie, Amazon, the Big five, small or medium size and uncategorized publishers. This information is meant to give you a picture of the potential opportunity and sales that one can make from eBooks.
However, don’t expect to automatically strike it rich with eBooks. Success takes time and you should write on a niche that is marketable. Write eBooks on topics that are likely to attract large audiences.
Teaching and/or Tutoring
We have to admit that not everyone can be good at every subject, and at times, we may be forced to get extra lessons. This is an opportunity that any student can tap into to make some cash. You’ve probably been giving lessons to your course mates for free and it’s time you started charging a fee for your services. You can offer tutoring services in a number of ways that include:
- Online platforms where you can offer tutoring services, and there are quite many. However, be cautious not to join bogus websites
- Parents are at times on the lookout for tutors to help their children in high school, and some in elementary, with their studies
- Tutoring course mates or friends on subjects that you are good at
Although it’s important that you give lessons on subjects that you are knowledgeable on, you can actually make more when you offer lessons on subjects that are mandatory for students to pass (compulsory subjects).
Work on a Hobby
A large number of individuals have succeeded in turning hobbies into income generating activities. However, don’t be fooled as it’s not as easy as it sounds. Turning a hobby into your source of revenue is a process that commands a lot of passion and dedication, though it shouldn’t have a negative impact on your studies.
There quite a number of hobbies that one can engage in:
- If you’re passionate about fashion, you can venture into design and the likes
- If you are into fitness, you can make cash giving fitness training sessions or by coaching a sport you are good at Social media platforms are also a good avenue – if you love spending time online and have mastered how these platforms work, then you have a chance of turning this hobby into a source of cash. Businesses are always searching for social media managers, and you can tap on that opportunity.
- Social media platforms are also a good avenue – if you love spending time online and have mastered how these platforms work, then you have a chance of turning this hobby into a source of cash. Businesses are always searching for social media managers, and you can tap on that opportunity.
- Businesses are always searching for social media managers, and you can tap on that opportunity.
- Although it can be quite time-consuming, if you are passionate about cars and have a good eye for detail, then you can venture into car detailing
- Drawing and painting – you can sell your pieces
- Photography is another area someone can make money by selling their pieces
The list is endless! The number of things that one can do is great and it all depends on what works for you. If you have the passion and are determined enough, then expanding your hobby to make cash can be quite fun!
Today, thanks to job scarcity and existing opportunities quite a large number of people have turned to freelancing. Freelancing is not only a flexible way to earn income but you also have a chance of growing your income to any amount you desire. With freelancing, you can venture into any cash generating activity that’s suitable for you. What are some of the activities you can venture in?
- Freelance writing – Although writing can be quite time-consuming, it makes a rather good source for cash especially for students. You have a chance of writing on topics and genres that you are comfortable with and knowledgeable in. For instance, you can take up blogging, offer resume, creative or essay writing services or all of them depending on your area of expertise. You can offer such services on a number of online writing platforms.
- Designing and illustrations – not everyone can make an appealing PowerPoint, infographic, or business cards. You can explore this opportunity if you are talented in design.
- Starting a website. You can earn from affiliate marketing!
Freelancing is quite ideal for students compared to taking a part-time job, since you can create a working schedule that doesn’t clash with your studies. The freelance economy has grown tremendously over the years. Take an example of the US, as of 2014, approximately 53 million of the working economy were freelancers annually contributing $715 billion to the economy. This goes to show that as you start out your freelancing in college, it has the potential of growing to be your full-time career.
The freelance economy is a growing one, and corporations are embracing independent contractors more. Starting out in college will help you grow your resume and create a network for you once you graduate.
Providing Services to the Local Community
The local community around your college is in need of certain services and you just might be in a position to offer it to them. There’s a long list of services that include: cleaning services, taking care of pets for example dog walking, landscaping, among others. You can offer a wide range of cleaning services that include window and office cleaning, laundry services, and mobile car wash services among others. You’ll need to do some research to find out what services are in demand in that locality.
In this century, anyone has a chance of generating income irrespective of their age, gender, or race. Students have not been left behind either. Quite a number of college students have succeeded in venturing into businesses that have been profitable enough and have even gone ahead to stick with them out of college. Among the richest people in the world right now, many started their businesses while in college so don’t despise your idea, it may just be what gives you financial freedom!
Importantly, being a student, time is a resource that you just cannot afford to waste. Balance your time well between your studies and business ventures. Also, be good at what you do – if it’s in writing, practice with all kinds of essays such as narrative essay examples to hone your skills. If you are tutoring, let your clients get the satisfaction they need. In general, deliver quality work and services at all times. College students have a lot of opportunities that they can exploit, be sure to take advantage of them.
Kevin is a professional educator and a private tutor with over 8 years of experience. He is also a content writer for various blogs about higher education, entertainment, social media & blogging. During his off time, Kevin enjoys traveling and cooking. Feel free to connect with him on Twitter, Linkedin & Google+.